The William Callyhan Robinson Society was created to honor those distinguished Columbus School of Law Alumni who graduated forty or more years ago. The Society is named for The Honorable William Callyhan Robinson, who was appointed the first dean of the Catholic University of America Law School.
Founded in 2013, the Society meets annually each fall to admit interested new members. A Convenor is selected from among the current and incoming members of the Society to lead the ceremony.
The Honorable William Callyhan Robinson was born in Norwich, Connecticut on July 26, 1834. After preparatory studies at Norwich Academy, Williston Seminary, and Wesleyan University, he entered Dartmouth College and graduated in 1854. He then entered the Theological Seminary of the Protestant Episcopal Church, and was ordained to the Episcopalian Ministry in 1857. He served as an Episcopalian Minister from 1857 to 1862. He was later received into the Catholic Church in 1863. He was lecturer at the Yale Law School from 1869 to 1872, and Professor of Common Law in the same instution from 1872 to 1896.
Robinson was a Judge of the New Haven City Court from 1869 to 1871 and later served as a Judge of Connecticut Court of Common Pleas until 1895, when he organized the Columbus School of Law.
He was conisdered an authority on Patent Law . His most celebrated works are “Life of Ebenezer Beriah Kelly,” “Notes on Elementary Law,” “Elementary Law,” “Clavis Rerum,” “Law of Patents” in three volumes, “Forsensic Oratory,” and “Elements of American Jurisprudence.” He contributed to legal periodicals from 1867 to 1910 and was Editor of the Mirror of Justice in 1903.
For sixteen years he served as Dean of the Columbus School of law, delivering his last lecture on November 3, 1911.Click here to register for the 2016 William Callyhan Robinson Society Luncheon and Induction Ceremony on Sunday, October 16